Thursday, August 31, 2006

Which language will we be using?

The bell rings. I stumble out of my slumber having understood two things: maid cleans on Tuesday, naked in bed. I decided to feign sleep under the protective shield of my blanket, thinking this was the lowest cost solution. She would enter, see I was sleeping, and disappear until later. Her keys continued to fumble at the door. Apparently blocked by the presence of my keys; still dangling in the door. "Fire safety" I can hear my mother saying. I get up, covering myself toga style, and open the door. "Can you please come back later?" I said, puffy eyes and all. No response....blank stare. Oh yeah, I forgot I'm in Switzerland. "Francais?" I utter, hoping she speaks french. "Italiano?" she responds. "Ummm... no" I say half embarrased. "Spanish?" she interjects. As I'm standing there trying to sort through my cluttered mind to find the word "yes" in spanish or change the expression on my face from sleepy haze to mild comprehension, she says "Mas tarde?". Aaaaaahhhhhh. "Si, gracias" I respond, and hobble back to my bed for three more minutes of sweet sleep. Language is a currency here. Bartering, negotiating, until finally one settles upon the right combination that both parties are happy with. And then the deal is made.

No comments: